Why The Book Jacket Was Interesting
Some of you guessed it in the comments, but yes, the reason I was so bewitched by that book jacket was indeed Marilyn’s fingernails. She has three perfect ones showing (falsies?) and then a pinkie chewed to the quick – right in the foreground! It reminded me of Britney’s Weave of Mayhem and Nails of Anxiety phase in 2008. Everything else about the picture is so screamingly old Hollywood glamour: the hair, the eyeliner, the pose. Yet … the Pinkie of Neglect. I wonder if it was deliberate, or if she was just really into Death of a Salesman and got manicure-lazy.
I’m so sorry if that level of attention to nail detail makes you uncomfortable. I just love and am fascinated nail polish. It’s so pointless! It makes me so happy! I love that you can’t do anything for a while if you’ve painted your nails! You MUST relax.
I love the colours, I love the names, I love choosing them. I love trying them on little pieces of sellotape in department stores and then discussing them with the lady at the counter. Sometimes I just waste hours reading the product names on this site when I’m supposed to be writing, because it reminds me how many words there are and how they can conjure up so much.
I love frightening boys with red nails and intriguing them with gold nails. I love the hunt for limited edition shades. I love reading about them, I love writing about them, and secretly I also love judging people with chipped nails.
I love manicures with my sister, I love getting a boyfriend to paint my toenails, I love doing my own nails on a night in. I love the fact that my mum had a manicure before she went into hospital to give birth – WITH EACH OF HER THREE CHILDREN.
I love going on holiday and finding weird shades in foreign supermarkets. I love finding tiny nail bars in London, I love getting a polish in New York, I love having a kick-ass pedicure in Trinidad.
I love acrylics, I love short nails, I love long nails.
I think I need a lie down now.
Filed under: Me and my nails, Nail Icons, Why, why, WHY? | 8 Comments
- @jojomoyes @tracey_thorn I LOVE it! 10 hours ago
- @jamieklingler @dollyalderton @HRWright @PINsykes @pandorasykes 🤦🏼♀️ https://t.co/jFVAMR6Ltv 11 hours ago
- RT @colsonwhitehead: Now that it's totally official, I feel okay about spreading the word -- I'm pretty psyched, obviously! https://t.co/tT… 11 hours ago
- First Edition Great Gatsby... - Being auctioned on Thursday. This seems like a perfectly reasonable gift... tmblr.co/ZclDLx2J_G2SM 23 hours ago
- @soul_of_twit @scouserachel I need ac12 to investigate a WAISTCOAT WITH LAPELS before anything else tbh 1 day ago